To assist the priest at alter during the celebration of mass. Or any liturgical unite.
- Each alter server is taught to be a role model to others by their behavior, character and obedience.
- Serving the Lord with joy.
- Regular meetings for instructions and fellowship.
- Picnics, quizzes, games.
- Interaction with parents.
- Participation in inter-Altar Servers activities.
Every year after the celebration of the First Holy Communion, the communicants, both boys and girls are invited to join this Association, with consent from their parents/guardians.
The regular Saturday meetings are mainly for fellowship, teaching, instructions, sharing experiences and drawing up the schedules for altar service for the next fortnight. This is to ensure that at every Mass there is at least one senior altar server so that junior altar servers learn and are guided during actual service. Selection of Altar Servers to serve at important church celebrations such as Novenas and Feast’s , Holy Week, Easter, Christmas etc. is done based on experience, attendance at meetings and commitment to the duties allotted.
*Any child in the age group of 9-14 years can be a alter server.
*The candidate should have received First Holy Communion prior to joining.